How to AirPlay to Firestick and Fire TV: Best Wireless Methods 2024
Fire TV and Firestick are excellent ways to watch all your favorite content on the big screen. There are many Fire TV models that support AirPlay, but don’t fret if you have a Firestick or an incompatible Fire TV. In this article, we’ll show you how to AirPlay to Fire TV or Firestick through several different methods.
Whether you have an iPhone, iPad, or a Mac, the convenience of AirPlay adds a new dimension to your Fire TV streaming experience. Let’s dive in and see what options you have.
Does AirPlay Work With Fire TV?
Fortunately, AirPlay does work with Fire TV. However, it depends on which model you have. Some of the newer Fire TV models all have AirPlay support, so you can easily mirror your iPhone, iPad, or Mac to the TV without any wiring or additional app.
Firestick, on the other hand, is simply a streaming device that runs on a proprietary operating system called “Fire OS”. Luckily, it is based on the Android operating system, which means you can download third-party screen mirroring apps on it to mirror your Apple device’s screen. Keep in mind, though, that because it uses an Android OS, it is not compatible with AirPlay.
Note that Fire TVs use the same Fire OS that Firestick uses. There are many popular brands that have the OS integrated into them, including Toshiba, Insignia, and Hisense. If you have a Fire TV that supports AirPlay, we have explained further below how you can enable it in the settings.
In case you don’t have an AirPlay-compatible TV or a Firestick, then we recommend using third-party apps such as the ones mentioned below.
DoCast is the most convenient app you can use to AirPlay to Firestick from iPhone or an iPad. We have found that ease of use is this app’s biggest asset. It doesn’t need to be installed on your Firestick or Fire TV. Just set it up on your iPhone and you are ready to start streaming.
The free version of DoCast shows no ads and can be set up in a matter of seconds. It has an incredibly intuitive interface, which you can easily navigate. When you launch the app and connect it to your Firestick or Fire TV, all of its features are at your fingertips and can be accessed with ease.
Here’s how to AirPlay on Firestick or FireTV with DoCast:
2. Launch the app and wait for it to search for your Fire TV or Firestick. Tap it once it’s been discovered to connect to it.
3. To mirror your iPhone onto your Fire TV, tap Screen.
4. Here, you can adjust the settings. Feel free to change the resolution or turn on auto-rotation. Once you’re done, tap the red button at the bottom.
5. Tap Start Broadcasting to begin mirroring your iPhone to your Fire TV.
In the free version of DoCast, you can only mirror for 15 minutes per session and stream videos for 3 minutes per session. You can opt for the premium version of the app to get rid of these limitations. The premium package starts at $1.99 per week. If you pick the lifetime upgrade or yearly plan, you’ll receive a special gift with your purchase!
If you want a user-friendly app that doesn’t interfere with your viewing experience with ads, then we highly recommend checking out DoCast.
2. Screen Mirroring・Smart View TV
Screen Mirroring・Smart View TV is another option for mirroring your iPhone’s screen to a Fire TV, though many of its options seem to be locked behind a paywall.
Nevertheless, its minimal and visually appealing design is something that stood out to us while testing these apps. In the free version, you can mirror your phone and stream offline videos and photos.
To cast online photos and videos, you have to upgrade to the premium version of the app, which many users may not be happy with. The app’s screen mirroring feature is a great choice for people who wish to play games on a bigger screen without experiencing any lag.
While the app’s interface makes it an enticing option, the free version often shows ads and you have to pay to access the majority of its features. Despite that, we believe it’s worth checking out since there is no delay in screen mirroring.
Here’s a quick step-by-step guide on how you can use Screen Mirroring・Smart View TV to AirPlay to Firestick:
1. Download Screen Mirroring・Smart View TV from the App Store.
2. Tap the casting icon in the top-right corner and select your Firestick device.
3. On the main screen, tap Screen Mirroring.
4. Now simply tap the red recording button and a window will pop up.
5. Tap Start Broadcasting and the app will start to mirror your iPhone’s screen to Fire TV.
AirScreen is a screen mirroring app that is only available on Fire TVs. You are not required to download it on your iPhone. What we like about this app is how versatile it is. You can use it for multiple protocols, including Miracast, Google Chromecast, AirPlay, and DLNA. This is a great option for people who have a Fire TV model that is not compatible with AirPlay.
How can you AirPlay to Firestick using AirScreen? Let’s take a look:
1. First, download AirScreen on your Firestick through the app store. You can also have it delivered to your Firestick via Amazon.
2. Open the app. It’ll immediately show you a QR code and a URL.
3. You can either scan the QR code with your iPhone or enter the URL in your browser to start sharing the phone’s screen.
4. On your iPhone, tap Entire Screen to mirror your phone’s screen or In-app content to share a single app.
5. On your iPhone, open the Control Center by swiping down from the top-right corner.
6. Tap on the Screen Mirroring icon.
7. Select your AirScreen-enabled Firestick and your iPhone’s screen will appear on it.
How to AirPlay on Fire TV That Supports It
There are many Fire TV models now that are compatible with AirPlay. If you have one, here is a step-by-step instruction on how you can share your iPhone’s screen to it:
Step 1: Enable AirPlay on Amazon Fire TV
1. First, go to the settings of your Fire TV by selecting the gear icon.
2. Now navigate to Display and Sounds > AirPlay and HomeKit.
3. Highlight AirPlay and press the select button on your Fire TV remote to turn it on.
Step 2. Use a screen mirroring feature (on iPhone or iPad)
1. On your iPhone or iPad, open the Control Center.
2. Go to the screen mirroring section by tapping its icon.
3. Choose your Fire TV and it’ll begin to share your iPhone’s screen.
AirPlay Supported Fire TV Models
AirPlay support for Fire TV is still quite limited as there aren’t many models that are compatible with Apple’s protocol. Here are all the models that currently support it:
- 📌 Fire TV Stick 4K, Fire TV Stick Gen 2, and Fire TV Stick Basic Edition
- 📌 Fire TV Cube Gen 1 and Gen 2
- 📌 Fire TV Gen 3 (2017)
- 📌 Fire TV Toshiba 4K (2018 and 2020), Fire TV Toshiba HD (2018), and Toshiba C350 Fire TV (2021)
- 📌 Fire TV Insignia 4K (2018 and 2020), Fire TV Insignia HD (2018), Insignia F20, F30, and F50 Series (2021)
- 📌 Fire TV Grundig Vision 6 HD (2019), Fire TV Grundig Vision 7, 4K (2019), Fire TV Grundig OLED 4K (2019)
- 📌 Fire TV ok 4K (2020)
- 📌 Fire TV Onida HD (2019 and 2020)
- 📌 Fire TV AB/AKAI/Croma UHD (2020)
- 📌 Fire TV JVC 4K (2019) and JVC Smart HD/FHD (2020)
- 📌 Fire TV Nebula Soundbar
How to AirPlay to Fire TV from Mac
The process for sharing your Mac’s screen to your Fire TV through AirPlay is similar to how it works on an iPhone or an iPad. Just keep in mind that your Firestick or Fire TV must have AirPlay support for this to work. If not, you can use the AirScreen app and follow the steps mentioned above. Make sure you are connected to the same Wi-Fi network on both devices.
Here’s what you have to do:
1. Enable AirPlay on your Fire TV by following the steps mentioned above.
2. On your Mac, click on the Control Center icon in the menu bar.
3. Click on Screen Mirroring.
4. Select your Fire TV from the list that appears and you will start to see your Mac’s screen on it.
AirPlay to Fire TV from iPhone, iPad, and Mac: A Summary
Below, we have added a table that summarizes the steps required to AirPlay to Firestick and FireTV from an iPhone, iPad, and a Mac. We have also mentioned the models which support AirPlay.
|You can use Firestick 4K, Firestick Basic, and Firestick Gen 2 to AirPlay from iPhone. Simply download DoCast on your iPhone and it’ll automatically find your Firestick after you enable AirPlay on it. Tap “Screen” in the app and then you can start broadcasting your iPhone’s screen.
On AirPlay-compatible Fire TV models such as the Toshiba 4K, Grundig Vision 6 HD, and Insignia 4K, all you have to do is enable AirPlay in the settings of the TV. After that, you’ll be able to find it in your iPhone’s screen mirroring section in the Control Center. Tap it to start sharing your phone’s screen.
If your Fire TV doesn’t support AirPlay, try the additional solution – DoCast. It will help you mirror your iPhone screen and stream photos, videos, and music to your Fire TV.
|The iPad has the same method as the iPhone. Turn on AirPlay in Firestick’s settings and then mirror to it by tapping “Screen” in the DoCast app on your iPad.
For the iPad, you have to follow the same steps. Enable AirPlay on your Fire TV and then connect to it through the screen mirroring section in the Control Center.
Or download DoCast on your iPad if your Fire TV doesn’t support AirPlay. It will serve as a replacement, allowing you to mirror your iPad screen on the TV seamlessly.
|On Mac, you’ll have to use an app called AirScreen to connect to your Firestick as it doesn’t support AirPlay. After setting up a connection with AirScreen, you’ll be able to find your Firestick in the screen mirroring section of the Control Center.
|To AirPlay Mac to a Fire TV, open the Control Center by clicking on it in the menu bar. Make sure you have enabled AirPlay on your Fire TV. Click on it in the Control Center to begin mirroring your Mac’s screen.
Firestick and Fire TV are popular streaming devices and TVs that now also come with AirPlay support. Even if your device isn’t compatible with Apple’s protocol, you can use a third-party app such as DoCast to mirror your iPhone or iPad’s screen to it.
DoCast is free to use and you’ll never see an ad during your screen mirroring sessions. If you have an AirPlay-compatible Firestick or Fire TV, you just have to enable AirPlay in its settings. Then, you can mirror your Apple device to it by sharing its screen from the Control Center.
Frequently Asked Questions
The best app to AirPlay on Firestick is DoCast. It’s available on both the iPhone and the iPad. You can try its free version for as long as you want without encountering any ads. It’ll quickly detect your Firestick and Fire TV, and allow you to mirror your Apple device’s screen to it in a matter of seconds.
You must have an AirPlay-compatible Fire TV model for it to work. If you do have one, you can enable AirPlay in the settings. Simply go to “Display and Sounds” and then “AirPlay and HomeKit” in the settings of your Fire TV. Once enabled, you can start mirroring your Apple device’s screen.
If AirPlay is not working on your Fire TV, first check if your model is compatible with it. If not, then you can use third-party apps like DoCast or AirScreen to mirror your iPhone’s screen to it. If you do have a compatible Fire TV model, then make sure you are connected to the same Wi-Fi network on both the TV and your Apple device.
Yes, it is possible to mirror to a Firestick. With the help of a third-party app like DoCast, you can easily share your iPhone and iPad’s screens to your Firestick. Make sure they’re on the same Wi-Fi network and then go to “Screen” in DoCast. You’ll be able to mirror your Apple device’s screen to Firestick for 15 minutes per session in the free version of the app.