How to Chromecast from iPhone to TV: The Ultimate Guide to Streaming With iOS Apps
Most TV’s these days allow you to install streaming apps on them, whether this is Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, or Max (formerly HBO Max). However, if your TV doesn’t support them, you can Chromecast from iPhone and then stream to your TV. You can even stream content from music apps, websites, and the iOS Photos app.
Here’s how to do that.
How to Chromecast iPhone to TV Using Third-Party Apps
Besides Google Home, you can also iOS cast to Chromecast using third-party iPhone Chromecast apps. Like Google Home, you can download these for free. Below, we’ll talk about four great options: DoCast, Replica, Video Stream, and iWebTV.
As usual, make sure the Chromecast device is connected to the TV. The TV also needs to be connected to the same network as your iPhone, meaning you still need the Google Home app to connect the Chromecast to your Wi-Fi, otherwise, these apps will not work.
DoCast allows your iPhone cast to Chromecast to your TV, which lets you screen mirror or cast photos and videos. The app provides a seamless experience when it comes to connecting your iPhone and Chromecast, as well as offering the lowest of latency. You can enjoy a wide range of media from your phone, whether you want to cast movies from iPhone to Chromecast or even watch a presentation on a bigger screen.
To iOS cast to Chromecast using DoCast, follow the steps below:
2. Wait for DoCast to detect your Chromecast.
3. Tap on your Chromecast to connect the app to it.
4. Tap Photos, Music, or Videos — depending on what you want to stream.
5. Tap on a photo or video to cast iPhone to Chromecast.
6. Tap on the Start mirroring button.
Replica is a screen mirroring app, and instead of casting a particular app onto your TV screen, it will mirror the entire phone’s screen. That means you can use this app to send videos from iPhone apps that aren’t cast-enabled. On top of Chromecast, it also supports a wide range of streaming devices, as well as smart TVs and all the major web browsers.
To cast to Chromecast from iPhone using Replica, follow the steps below:
1. Download and install Replica on your iPhone.
2. Launch Replica and tap on the Chromecast when it detects it.
3. Tap the Screen Mirroring button.
4. Tap Start Broadcast in the pop-up to mirror your iPhone’s screen to the TV through the Chromecast device.
5. Launch the app you want to stream content from and enjoy.
3. Video Stream
Video Stream is a Cast-enabled app with a built-in web browser for casting content from websites. Once you connect it to your Chromecast, you can navigate to the site where you want to stream media from, such as YouTube, and then cast that to your TV.
Unfortunately, this means you’re restricted to the confines of the app itself and its web browser, which does not include all the features of a fully functional mobile browser like Chrome. Furthermore, you can’t stream from Netflix and other streaming sites with content restrictions.
With that said, here’s how to cast from iPhone to Chromecast with Video Stream:
1. Download and install Video Stream on your iPhone.
2. Open the Video Stream app and tap on the Cast icon in the top right corner of the screen.
3. Pick the Chromecast device from the list of locations.
4. Enter the website you want to stream content from in the Video Stream.
5. Find the content you want to watch or listen to and hit the Play button.
iWebTV is similar to Video Stream in that you can only use the built-in web browser to cast media onto your Chromecast. That means that it pretty much comes with the same pros and cons, mainly that you can’t cast movies from iPhone to Chromecast from apps like Netflix or Disney+.
To use the app on your iPhone to cast to a Chromecast device, follow the steps below:
1. Download and install iWebTV on your iPhone.
2. Open iWebTV on your iPhone and use the built-in web browser to open the site you want to stream from.
3. Find the video you want to play and hit the Cast button in the top right corner.
4. Select the Chromecast device in the pop-up that lists locations.
5. Hit Play on the media to start streaming the content.
How to Setup Your Chromecast and Cast to It Using an iPhone
1. Google Home
To stream from your iPhone to your TV using a Chromecast device, you’ll first need to set it up using the Google Home app, which is free on the App Store. You’ll also need to make sure that your iPhone’s Bluetooth is enabled so it can connect to the Chromecast. You’ll see why in a bit.
1. Plug the Chromecast into your TV’s HDMI port and make sure you’ve selected that port as the output.
2. Download and install the Google Home app on your iPhone.
3. Launch the Google Home app and give it permission to use your Bluetooth by tapping OK in the pop-up.
4. Follow the steps to link your Google Account.
5. On the Choose a home screen, tap on your name or Home to choose where you control the Chromecast from and then tap Next. You can also tap Create another home to create a new space.
6. Give Google Home permission to connect to devices on your local network by tapping Allow in the pop-up that appears.
7. On the Location access screen, tap Next and then choose whether you want the app to use your location in the pop-up that appears.
8. Google Home will search for the Chromecast, and when it finds it, tap Next.
9. Both the iPhone and TV will display a code, and if it matches, tap Yes on your iPhone.
10. Choose where the Chromecast device is located in your home and then tap Next.
11. Select the Wi-Fi network the Chromecast will use – make sure the iPhone and Chromecast share the same network – and then tap Next.
12. Enter your Wi-Fi password and tap Connect.
13. Once the Chromecast and iPhone are linked, tap Continue.
14. On the next screen, tap Next to finish setting it up.
15. Link your account such as YouTube, Netflix, or Spotify to Google Home and play the video you want to stream.
16. Tap the Cast icon – its location will vary depending on the app you’re using.
Once you set up the Chromecast, you can download apps from the App Store that support casting natively. These apps allow you to select the video you want to play, tap the Cast button, select your Chromecast, and stream the video to your TV.
The best part is that you’ll be able to enjoy even copyright-protected content this way.
Apps that natively support casting to Chromecast including the following:
- Amazon Prime Video
- Max (formerly HBO Max)
How to Fix Chromecast When It Isn’t Working
If you find that your Chromecast isn’t working, there are a few things you can do to fix it. The first thing you need to do is make sure that both the iPhone and Chromecast are connected to the same network. If that doesn’t work, then make sure the app you’re using to connect to the Chromecast and the device is updated.
It could also be that the Chromecast isn’t working because it can’t pick up the Wi-Fi signal, and you should move your router a little closer. If the Chromecast can connect to the network just fine but has no internet, try resetting or updating the router instead.
If all else fails, try resetting the Chromecast itself. Just press and hold the button at the back of the device for about 25 seconds.
Frequently Asked Questions
A Chromecast is a streaming device that allows you to cast the screen of your smartphone or tablet to your TV using cast-enabled apps. This allows you to stream movies, TV shows, YouTube videos, music, and other media from the smart device to the TV.
AirPlay is incompatible with Chromecast – you’ll have to use Google Home or another cast-enabled app to connect your iPhone with a Chromecast.
If you’re looking for ways on how to stream to Chromecast from iPhone without Apple TV, you can use a Chromecast device together with an app like DoCast.
There are other ways to create a connection between your TV and iPhone without Bluetooth. The best way is to connect wirelessly through Wi-Fi. If the smart TV is AirPlay-enabled then simply connect the iPhone and TV on the same Wi-Fi network and use the iPhone’s Screen Mirroring feature. If not, you can do it by learning how to mirror iPhone on Chromecast with an app like DoCast.
Just keep in mind that you won’t be able to mirror apps like Netflix or Amazon Prime Video since their content has been copyright-protected. It still wouldn’t work even if you tried to, for example, mirror your mobile browser and sign into Netflix from there.
If you’re wondering “Can I Chromecast from my iPhone?” the answer is yes. First, you’ll need to connect your Chromecast to a Wi-Fi network using the Google Home app. Then, you can stream from apps that support casting, including DoCast, Replica, Video Stream, or iWebTV. You can also use apps from streaming services like YouTube, Netflix, and Spotify to cast from your iPhone to a Chromecast.