Table of contents
What is APK file?
APK (Android Application) is the only extension for installing applications on the Android operating system. It is developed by Google to adapt custom software to smartphones. The APK file contains fully compiled and ready-to-install code. Since APK is not a cross-platform extension (there is no APK for Mac or Linux), it is only supported by Android, regardless of version and system modification. Files with this extension are stored in the official Google Play store.
The file itself has a clear structure and contains the following elements:
- Metadata (META.INF) – manifest files and checksum definitions;
- .LIB – libraries for working with different processors;
- Assets and .RES – program resources;
- .XML – program code (can be encrypted for security purposes);
- .DEX is a set of compiled classes.
The user sees not the structure of the file, but only the final object, which is ready for installation. However, how to open.apk files on Mac and to look at the separate files (such as images, videos and XML files) in the archive? Continue reading to know several ways to open APK on Mac.