Perian Alternative for macOS Sierra
Perian is an open source QuickTime component allowing to play many popular video formats that are natively not compatible with QuickTime Player on
Mac OS X. At some point Perian was the perfect solution to any codec problems in QuickTime.
Unfortunately Perian isn't being developed anymore. For those who use QuickTime 10 or newer Perian is no longer useful. If this is the case Perian alternative Mac apps can make a big difference. You should be careful though when looking for Perian alternative since not all of those on the Internet are really helpful.
Among the best Perian alternatives for Mac Elmedia Player stands out with its ability to play lots of file types on Mac OS X (Sierra included). Elmedia Player is a worthy replacement for Perian with its support of all sorts of media file types like MKV, AVI, WMV, etc. on OS X 10.7 and later. It is very easy to install and use.
Quick How To for Perian Alternative Mac - Elmedia Multiformat Player
1.Buy and open the player
To get your high quality alternative to Perian, head to the Mac App Store and buy Elmedia Multiformat Video Player with your Apple ID (given you have a valid payment method registered with your account). Click the price (Buy) under the player's image. Elmedia Player will be downloaded to your machine and then you can open it.
2. Add files
Elmedia offers several ways to add files to it for your convenience:
- Drag and drop the files in its open window or on the player's Dock icon.
- When in Finder right-click on the video file you want to watch and then "Open With" option to choose Elmedia Player as the app to open this file.
- In the "File" menu of Elmedia Player use "Open..." option.
Elmedia Player supports an impressive array of common and uncommon audio & video formats: FLV, AVI, MOV, WMV, MP4, MP3, DAT, FLAC, M4V, MPG, MKV, etc. Elmedia's features at a glance:
- can play FLV, DIVX, DAT, etc;
- built-in web browser to browse online videos from the app;
- you can create and manage playlists;
- adjustable video image;
- adjustable playback speed;
- high quality playback with 10-band graphic equalizer, video tuner, etc;
- hardware acceleration for smooth HD playback;
- external audio tracks are supported;
- you can make precise screenshots during movie playback (using Control-Command-S shortcut) or convert the whole video into a set of images that can be saved in different formats;
- adjustable audio settings;
- stream music and videos from Elmedia Player PRO to AirPlay devices and receive AirPlay content with Elmedia Player PRO.
1. Install Perian
Download the plugin, click the disk icon, then double-click Perian.prefPane.
All the components will be installed and updated automatically, you can drag-and-drop them to the Library → QuickTime folder or your private Library, it is accessible only to you, or the top-level Library accessible to all users.
2. Run QuickTime
Once you are done with installation, restart all applications running QuickTime - these could be iTunes, QuickTime Player, web-browsers, etc. That’s it!
Now you can playback videos of these formats using QuickTime. For AVI, WMV, FLV and other common formats use Elmedia Player for Mac.
Elmedia Player for Mac
Version 6.9(1118) (14th Nov, 2017) Release notes