List of Best MP4 Downloaders Mac
MP4 seems to be a well-known format for everyone, it is very popular and is compatible with the majority of players and devices. It is also popular for videos downloaded from online resources. Also if you save an MP4 video with suitable resolution and size you can benefit from its best performance.
It is hard to say which resolution will be most suitable for a specific MP4 video, as it depends on where you play it. If the resolution is close enough to the one of the device, you'll get a great viewing experience.
Here is the chart featuring the most popular devices and their screen resolutions:
|iPhone 7 Plus/6S Plus|
|Google Pixel XL|
|Samsung Galaxy S7|
|Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge|
|12.9in iPad Pro|
|9.7in iPad Pro|
|iPad Air 2|
Another factor affecting the quality of MP4 playback on your device is the quality of the software you use to download the video. YouTube is the most obvious source for online videos, however it is not always obvious how to download them for your offline usage. There is a hidden gem among the apps - Airy MP4 YouTube downloader
YouTube downloader to MP4 for Mac for the best resolution and size
- Download Airy and activate its full version for unlimited video downloading. Free version of Airy allows 2 downloads.
- Open the YouTube video in a web browser, or open the whole playlist or channel as Airy supports downloading them at once. Copy the link and paste it in Airy.
- From the list of available formats select MP4 and the resolution you prefer. Of course the choice of resolution will depend on the initial quality of the video, if initially it was a 4K or 8K movie, you'll be able to save it in this quality.
- Finally, click "Download".
By default Airy saves videos in Downloads folder, but you can customize the saving location in the app's preferences.
Additionally to performing an MP4 download on Mac, Airy can extract MP3 music files from YouTube videos, so you can create your offline playlist out of favorite soundtracks. Also Airy supports downloading of age-restricted videos, you'll need to sign in your YouTube account for that.
Another good option for MP4 download on Mac from YouTube is Elmedia Player PRO app. Elmedia Player PRO is multifunctional app that supports the immense variety of file types and is very reliable. It can download from YouTube and also from such video resources like Metacafe, Vimeo, Dailymotion, Facebook, Yahoo and more.
This is how you use Elmedia as YouTube MP4 video downloader for Mac.
- Download Elmedia and activate its PRO version with an activation code that you get after the purchase.
- Switch your PRO player to the browser mode in its main menu.
- Paste a YouTube link and press Enter.
- Elmedia will display the list of files available for download, choose yours and click Download.
- Select the video format (MP4, 3GP, WebM, FLV, etc.). Selecting MP3 from the list will extract the soundtrack from an online video.
- Videos go to Downloads folder by default and you can change the saving location in Elmedia's Preferences.
Elmedia Player can be of great service for you in free version as well. It is an awesome and super versatile media player with an extended support of file formats.
The third alternative we recommend is an online service called Keepvid. Paste the YouTube link in it and click Download to see all available resolutions and media formats, including MP4. Choose the one you will save to your computer.
Keepvid is very basic though. It doesn't offer batch downloading, and won't save the whole playlist or channel from YouTube.
This was our little list of best MP4 downloaders for Mac as we believe in quality over quantity in this matter. Feel free to share your thoughts in comments.
Airy for Mac
Version 3.2.175 (30th Jan, 2017) Release notes