If you want to watch YouTube videos independently from your internet connection, you can download them on your laptop. For example, if you simply want to extract the sound, you can record the audio from YouTube using a capable solution such as Airy. Or, you can download the entire clips to view offline. Learn how to record a YouTube video using the different approaches we’ve outlined below: desktop apps, online converters, or Apple’s own QuickTime.
1. Download Airy and install it on your Mac. With the trial version, you can get two downloads, while enabling the full version will grant you unlimited access.
2. Go to the YouTube video, playlist or channel that you wish to download. Copy the URL from the video’s address bar, then paste it into Airy.
3. Choose your preferred format and quality option from the drop-down list provided. If you’ve lined up multiple downloads, they will take longer to process.
4. Click on the Download button. That’s all!
ClipGrab is a freely available open source app which can also be used to record YouTube video on Mac. It doesn’t have a large file format selection, but it gets the job done. It works with a number of other sites apart from YouTube, too. It’s simple to use and fast, however, no browser integration is available. Luckily, it can automatically detect URLs you have copied to your clipboard.
6. Click on ‘Grab this clip’. This will download the YouTube video to your Mac’s default Downloads folder.
The MacX Video Converter app is an all-in-one solution which offers a video downloader, converter, editor, screen recorder, etc., so it can help you record YouTube video on Mac. It’s fairly simple to use and supports various output formats, resolutions, encoding/decoding, and video compression as well. The free version has a 5-minute limitation and fewer available features.
1. Download the MacX Video Converter on your laptop.
2. Click on the ‘YouTube’ icon, then on the ‘Paste & Analyze’ button. This will detect any YouTube videos currently streaming.
3. Select your desired output video format, resolution, and size.
4. Click on the ‘Browse’ button to choose a destination folder for your downloaded videos.
5. Press ‘Download Now’ to begin the download.
QuickTime Player is Apple’s native solution when it comes to playing videos, viewing images, listening to sound, etc. with high quality. With one of its functions, you can also record video on Mac. It’s a convenient solution since it’s readily available, but it’s not the simplest one to use. So to learn how to record a YouTube video with QuickTime, see the instructions below.
To trim the beginning and/or end of the file, click on ‘Edit’ and pick ‘Trim’. Drag the yellow trimming bar to indicate which part of the video you’d like to keep. Click ‘Trim’ to apply the changes.