How to grab YouTube videos on Mac
There is a general notion that it is easier to download videos on a PC rather than a Mac machine. It might have been the case a while ago, but not anymore – to grab YouTube videos on Mac is no different from downloading videos on Windows. There are many tools that allow you to do it, and I would like to introduce some of them to you. Read on to find out what YouTube video grabber Mac owners could use for.
Airy YouTube Downloader for Mac users
Airy is an app that allows you to save YouTube videos and choose a format of download – MP4, 3GP, FLV and MP3, and resolution - SD, HD or full HD resolution. The app is totally compatible with macOS Sierra.
The way it works is really simple. Download and install the app, now all you have to do to save a YouTube video is to:
- Copy-paste a URL to the video into a special field in Airy window. Licensed version of Airy allows you to download multiple videos at a time. The easiest way to do it would be to copy links to a text editor first, then select all of them and insert into Airy window.
- Now you can choose the format and resolution in which you’d like to download the file. Take into consideration what device and application you are planning to use for a playback. A lower resolution will do for a mobile phone or a tablet, while an HD screen will do justice to downloading a large full HD file. You can also choose to extract audio from the video by selecting MP3 format.
- Click Download.
Personally, I prefer this app the most – use it to grab YouTube videos Mac owners! However since your needs and requirements might be different from mine, here are a couple of other options.
Elmedia Player for Mac users
Elmedia is actually a media player for Mac. You can use it for free, although some advanced features might require purchasing PRO version of the app - $19.95. The player is multifunctional, and one of the advantages it offers is downloading YouTube videos.
This is how you use this feature:
1. Go to YouTube page of the video you would like to download where you can:
- Either click ‘Open in Elmedia Player’ in the web browser, this will take you to “Download online movies” mode:
- Or enter the URL into address field in Elmedia Player window and click ‘Go’.
2. Set ‘Video’ filter in Downloads list.
3. Locate the file you need and click ‘Download’.
YouTube videos are usually of FLV format. If there are a few identical link, choose any of them.
4. Once the movie is downloaded, it will be saved in the default destination folder. You can change it in Elmedia Player Preferences, look out for ‘Path For Downloads’ parameter.
So if I have to choose what works best for me – it’s certainly Airy, but you need to check out for yourself. That’s it – be with us to stay updated.
Version 3.9.218 (14th Jul, 2019) Release notes