Sometimes, things like Internet connection or bandwidth limitations can put a strain on streaming. Or, when you wish you could save a tutorial for offline viewing. Luckily, there’s a workaround. Our article shows how to capture a YouTube video using different solutions. Take your pick! And if you only want to record YouTube music as MP3, you can do that too!
On YouTube, capture video by following these steps:
2. Open a video, playlist, or channel that you wish to capture from YouTube. Copy the URL from the address bar. Then, paste it into Airy.
3. Choose your preferred format and quality from the drop-down list. If you’ve added several simultaneous downloads, they will take longer to download.
OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) is a free open-source video recorder for YouTube and other streaming platforms, especially popular with gamers. It offers many options, perhaps too many to find your way around. So there’s quite a learning curve. Take a look at the steps below to help you get a better idea about the YouTube screen capture process. Keep in mind that OBS is pretty large and may slow down your computer. Also, some users share that OBS crashes when doing a screen capture from YouTube.
These are the basic steps required for a video capture from YouTube that new users can apply. Advanced users can dive into more settings and options.
Step 1: Install and run OBS. Click the Settings button at the bottom right. Go to the Output tab, then select Recording Path, Recording Quality, and Recording Format as you wish. To set other options, go to either the Video or Audio tab. Click OK to save your selection.
Step 2: Right-click on the box under Scene, then select Add Scene, or click on the Plus "+" icon. Type in your scene name and click OK. Next, go to the Sources section right next to Scenes. Click on the Plus icon and choose Window Capture.
Step 3: Switch to your browser and open your desired YouTube video. Start playing it and switch to OBS right away. Click on the Start Recording button at the bottom right to start the YouTube video capture.
Clipchamp is a website which allows you to do a YouTube video capture online without installing any software. It can also trim, rotate, edit videos, and add captions. It's a handy website, but the YouTube screen capture function is not its main focus and requires quite a few clicks on your end. Also, there is a 30 minute time limit on screen recordings. If you want to record longer videos, you will need to make several recordings and combine them using the editor.
1. Open Clipchamp and click on ‘Create a new project’. Then, click on the ‘Create a Video button’ on the left side. Choose between the five available video formats.
2. Once the video editor opens, you will see a ‘Record Screen’ button above the editing timeline. Clicking on it will open a new window prompting you to choose which screen you wish to record - Entire Screen, Application Window, or a specific Chrome Tab. Choose a screen and click on the Share button to capture YouTube video online.
3. Note that, in order to add audio, you need to proceed as follows: To record the audio of a browser tab, you need to choose a specific Chrome tab to record. Select that tab, then check the ‘Share Audio’ box in the bottom left corner of the window. Finally, click on the Share button to begin recording.
QuickTime is Apple’s native player. It not only works as a video and audio player, but can also be used as software to capture YouTube video. That can be useful, especially considering the fact that QuickTime comes together with macOS and is commonly found on Macs. However, recording can be a complicated ordeal, so make sure you follow the steps below.
Here’s how you can use QuickTime’s video capture for YouTube videos.
1. To capture YouTube videos with sound, first install the loopback audio extension on your Mac (free). Go to System Preferences/Sound. In sound Output, choose Loopback Audio as the device for sound output.
2. Prepare the video you’d like to capture on your screen.
3. Open QuickTime Player, then select File > New Screen Recording from the menu bar. The recording controls will now appear on your screen.
4. Click on the Options menu for a drop-down list. Select an audio source such as Loopback Audio.
5. To choose whether you want to record the entire screen or a portion of it, click on the icon with the solid or dotted line.
6. Go back to the video you’ve prepared and press play. Click Record in the onscreen controls to start recording.
7. To stop the Quicktime recording, press the black square button in your menu bar.
Your YouTube capture will automatically be saved. If you wish to save it to a different location, edit, or share, click on the thumbnail of the video that will show up briefly in the lower-right corner of your screen.
Revert your sound settings from System Preferences > Sound > choose Internal Speakers as output.