Top browser video downloader solutions for macOS
A lot of times we are quite content with just watching videos in a browser and don't feel the need to have them saved on the computer. But in cases when you need to watch videos without being connected to Internet, it is far better option to actually have them on your hard drive
So here's some research we've done on browser video downloaders. Read, try out and choose which one is the best for you:
- Elmedia - the best browser YouTube downloader
- Airy - browser video downloader
- Browser extensions:
Best way to download videos from browser is Elmedia Player PRO
Elmedia PRO can download pretty much any video in any web browser from any website. It also integrates with Internet browsers for the top performance.
To integrate Elmedia Player PRO with a browser (Safari, Chrome, FireFox, Opera, etc.), do the following:
- Download Elmedia Player on your Mac;
- Launch it and upgrade to PRO version;
- Choose “Integrate into Browser” option in Main menu of the player;
- An .html file with instructions will open in your default browser.
The instructions you'll see in Safari browser: In Chrome: In Firefox: In Opera:
- Read through the instructions and drag the link to your browser’s bookmarks bar.
- From now on whenever you see a video on the Internet and decide to download it, you'll only need to click “Open in Elmedia Player” option in your browser’s bookmarks bar:
- Elmedia Player will open, and you can download the video right away.
Another cool option for downloading videos from browser is Airy. Airy is specifically created as a browser YouTube downloader. You can use it standalone or integrate with your web browser for faster downloading. Airy supports all popular browsers: Safari, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, etc.
Perform the following to let Airy automatically catch YouTube links in your browser:
- Download the app. You are getting first 2 downloads for free, for more downloads you'll need to activate the full version.
- Click Integrate into Browser in the main menu:
- Drag the link onto your browser’s bookmarks bar:
- Whenever you are ready to download a video from YouTube, just click this link in the bookmarks bar.
- Choose the file type for the video to be saved in and click Download. Free Airy will download 2 first videos. Consider then upgrading your Airy and getting unlimited YouTube downloading possibilities.
Video Downloader PRO can help you download the media content from various websites. It works with Opera, Chrome, and Firefox.
How to download with this extension:
- Install the extension from the Opera or Chrome or Firefox store;
- In your browser open the website you will download video or music from;
- Click Play and the extension starts working on the link;
- Open Video Downloader Pro, choose the file and click Download.
Firefox video downloader
Video DownloadHelper is a great downloading tool for online videos and images. Whenever this extension detects the videos available for download the browser toolbar icon activates. You can click it to see what's available for saving.
Video DownloadHelper offers several types of streaming videos: HTTP, MP2T, F4F, which makes this extension pretty unique. But even if some website is using an unsupported streaming technology, Video DownloadHelper can save directly from the screen and save it into a video file.
Chrome video downloader
Flash Video Downloader - is a Chrome plugin for downloading videos and audio files from almost any website. It supports a large variety of websites with videos like Facebook, Vimeo, Veoh, Blip, Metacafe, Dailymotion, Break and more.
Unfortunately this plugin cannot download YouTube videos because of the restrictions of the Chrome Store.
Opera video downloader
Easy Youtube Video Downloader For Opera is a very popular option for downloading of YouTube videos on Opera platform. It can download such file types as FLV, 3GP, MP3, MP4, 720p HD, 1080p Full-HD and 4K Ultra-HD qualities.
This plugin offers a highly demanded feature of downloading high-quality 192kbps MP3 in a single click without leaving the YouTube webpage.
Download Video Using Safari
Video downloading is not the first thing that comes to mind when you are using Safari browser. But it is a great option especially when you don't feel like installing more apps or plugins. All you need is Safari and some knowledge. Follow the instructions below.
- Open your Safari browser on Mac.
- Click the “Window” tab and then “Activity”.
- Open the website where you'll be saving videos from.
- Go back to “Activity” tab and find the largest file in the list. Select it.
- Double click the file to initiate the download.
Downloading with Safari browser is extremely easy and absolutely free – couple of scrolls and clicks and you are done. However this option is not available in Safari 8.0 or newer.
Depending on your needs and expectations you can try browser plugins or rely on software solutions, which may cost some money, but in the long run they prove to be more efficient and reliable.
Version 3.8.214 (23rd Jun, 2019) Release notes