Best Keep Tube Alternatives on Mac
Keep Tube is a web-service for downloading videos from popular video sharing websites such as YouTube, Dailymotion, Megavideo, Metacafe, Spike, MySpace and Facebook. It also has a solution for those who would prefer downloading soundtracks, not entire video clips. The application allows extracting and downloading audio tracks in MP3 format. It does a decent job, but if you have ever used it, you would know that there is a scope for improvement there. While developers are working on it, you might want to have a look at the list of Keep tube alternatives Mac owners could make use of. We have divided them into two groups – standalone software apps and browser extensions.
Airy - best Keep tube mac alternative
First comes Airy. Formats supported for downloading videos from YouTube are MP4, 3GP and FLV, for audio tracks – MP3. Airy is powerful enough to download entire playlists and all videos of uploaded on a YouTube channel without hiccups; it is also capable of downloading private videos.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to use Airy:
- Download and install the app. The free version of Airy allows downloading two videos, and to be able to download more, activate the full paid version of the app.
- Copy the link to a video, playlist or channel you would like to download and paste it in Airy.
- Specify the download format and click "Download".
The default destination for your files is Downloads folder, you can change it in Preferences.
Elmedia Player is a popular player for Mac that supports a wide range of various media formats and offers a number of handy features such as creating and managing playlists. The PRO Pack of the application does things similar to Keep tube on Mac, i.e. it allows downloading videos, playlists and channels from YouTube, as well as other video hosting sites – Metacafe, Vimeo, Dailymotion, Facebook and Yahoo. It also enables downloading subtitles in .srt format.
How to download a YouTube video with Elmedia PRO:
- Download Elmedia, once you are done with the installation activate the PRO Pack.
- Go to Main menu and switch to the browser mode.
- Copy-paste a YouTube link and click < Enter >.
- You will be displayed a list of downloadable resources, choose the one you need and click "Download".
- You are given an option to specify the format of download – MP4, 3GP, WebM, FLV, etc. Do not forget to choose MP3 format if you’d like to extract the audio track.
Destination for your files can be set in Preferences; by default it is Downloads folder.
Folx is essentially a download manager for Mac that also offers the functionality of a torrent client. Downloading videos from YouTube is possible with PRO version of the application
Here is how you do it:
- Download Folx, activate the PRO version
- Copy-paste the link to a YouTube video and press Enter
- Setup download parameters as required.
- ✦ Assign tags to the files being downloaded – this will make searching and organizing them easier.
- ✦ Specify the destination folder, if you select ‘Automatic’, Folx will place the file according to the first tag assigned.
- ✦ Choose a format of download, selecting MP3 will extract the soundtrack.
- ✦ Add a description if you feel like.
That’s it - could not be any easier.
Most popular web-browsers offer extensions that could serve as Mac alternatives to KeepTube. Let us have a look at them.
YouTube5 is a Safari extension that can substitute the default player for YouTube videos. It has a number of options to improve watching experience – volume control, resolutions change, etc. To download a video you have to choose a resolution displayed in the player.
YouTube Video Downloader is a Chrome extension.
When you open a video on YouTube, there will be "Download" button below it. Click the button, choose a download format and the video will start downloading. The extension allows extracting audio tracks in MP3 format. The only problem is that it can download only short video clips – no longer than 20 minutes.
Each of these alternatives has its own advantages and drawbacks, give them a try and see which Keep tube alternative for Mac fits your requirements and download pattern best.